John (Kerrash) Virgo

John Virgo
Kerrash
Ambassador duties: E3 2014/EGX 2014/BAFTA 2014/E3 2015

- What’s your earliest memory/experience with the Elite franchise?

I first loaded up the rolling demo of FE2 from an Amiga cover disk when I was ten. I read the review whilst it loaded and couldn't believe it was possible.

After watching the intro I immediately headed out to find the full game in the local electronics boutique store.

I rushed home and launched from the surface of Merlin in the Ross 154 in my trusty Eagle mk3. I had barely made it out of the atmosphere before the local authorities blasted me into dust for taking off without clearance.

Slumping back in my chair, I didn't feel disappointment, I was in awe of what felt like a living galaxy at my finger tips.

I was hooked.

- What ship set-up do you go with when playing Elite Dangerous?

Multiple. I choose the right tool for the job at hand, but typically an Asp for exploring, Viper for combat and a Type 6 (currently) for trading.

– What in-game faction, if any, do you align with?

None. I am a wandering spirit, helping those in need as I find them.

– What’s your preferred method of play in Elite Dangerous?

I like to try everything, constantly switching play styles to whatever suits my mood. Which is why I like to have several ships of various load outs available.

Role play was not something I had considered before, but this game is persuading me to get 'in the zone' more and more.

– Do you have a favourite moment from Elite Dangerous so far? If so, tell us about it.

The first time I scrolled around the galaxy map and tried to grasp the scale of the game, I was blown away.

– Why did you apply to become an ambassador?

I didn't, you asked me. But if I had applied, it would be because I believe in the potential of the game and the technology; and also to support the awesome work of the team at Frontier.8 – What were your ambassador experience/s like? Any highlights?

The entire thing was amazing!  In short, on Sunday evening when I got ready to head back to my car to head home, it felt like I was leaving behind my family.  Highlights... enjoying the look and commentary from people who had never seen or played Elite before and are really into the space-game genre.  Talking with and sharing experiences with other exhibitors and Enforcers.   Playing Elite on the Oculus Rift several times.  Working together with the Frontier group (Edward, Alison, Eddie, and Mike) and other Ambassadors (Parker & Marcel) towards our common goal - get more people interested in this great game!

– What were your ambassador experience/s like? Any highlights?

Meeting David and the team has been a life changing experience for which I am truly grateful. It's hard to pick a highlight from such a rollercoaster if events, but I would say that relaxing with the team afterwards are my favourite memories.