Eric Marcaigh

Eric Marcaigh
CMDR Name: Eric Marcaigh
Ambassador duties: PAX South 2015

- What’s your earliest memory/experience with the Elite franchise?

My Dad and I would go to the planetarium to learn, search out stars & planets from the church lot nearby, and keep up with stories and NASA, which is nearby as well. So back in 1984/1985 when I heard about Elite for the Commodore 64, I bought it right away. I even set up my own "cockpit".

- What ship set-up do you go with when playing Elite Dangerous?

I'm currently in a maxxed-out Cobra Mk.III with lasers all around. I don't like getting caught with my pants down/out of ammo! I'm excited about the Fer-de-lance and believe I'd like that to be my "final" ship. We'll see!

– What in-game faction, if any, do you align with?

I generally tend towards the underdog, but what I'm doing in-game is a secret at the moment.

– What’s your preferred method of play in Elite Dangerous?

I float between bounty hunting and simple trading, depending on my mood and how much time I have to play.

– Do you have a favourite moment from Elite Dangerous so far? If so, tell us about it.

I'm a roleplayer, so if someone yanks me out of supercruise and takes the time to demand cargo, then I'll RP right along. Roleplaying is a huge part of the immersion factor everyone clamors about, but most don't seem to recognize. My career path is multi-faceted though.  I guess you could say I'm an Opportunist. Trader, Miner, Bounty Hunter, Explorer, and mission carrier. I'm definitely not in a rush.

– Why did you apply to become an ambassador?

I enjoy helping the Community where and when I can. During testing, we put together weapons damage charts and hull "hit point" charts. We dropped gold to help other testers out financially (Texas Stu and Garak did that part a lot more than I did). I took pictures from a Sidewinder and made about 30 dual-screen wallpapers. And I started writing "Drabbles" in the Abraka-Drabble thread in the Fiction of Elite forum. So when the opportunity came to introduce Elite Dangerous to thousands more people at PAX South, I jumped at the chance.

– What were your ambassador experience/s like? Any highlights?

The entire thing was amazing!  In short, on Sunday evening when I got ready to head back to my car to head home, it felt like I was leaving behind my family. Highlights... enjoying the look and commentary from people who had never seen or played Elite before and are really into the space-game genre. Talking with and sharing experiences with other exhibitors and Enforcers. Playing Elite on the Oculus Rift several times.Working together with the Frontier group (Edward, Alison, Eddie, and Mike) and other Ambassadors (Parker & Marcel) towards our common goal - get more people interested in this great game!